‘Oh shit, now what?’
This is the typical reaction of the 539 Canadians diagnosed with cancer every day. Knight’s Cabin Cancer Retreats was founded to answer that question.
Knight’s Cabin Cancer Retreats was created to be a catalyst for positive health behavior change. We host weekend retreats where we teach patients the research-based information about health behaviours they can control—nutrition, exercise, sleep and stress management. We integrate behavioral change research to improve their chance of success. This is done in a supportive community of other people with cancer.
We asked ourselves some key questions when Knight’s Cabin was founded: what if we offer health behavior education, AND use the research we already have on how to create health behavior changes that last to ensure survivors have the best possible outcomes, live life to the fullest, and keep them out of the hospital? Imagine the human and economic impact.
One of the biggest difference makers has been offering the patients the opportunity to bring a supporter with them, be it a spouse, a family member or a friend as cancer has a great impact on supporters as well. We offer continuous support for patients through online health behavior change groups.
To ensure finances are not a barrier, the retreats are offered at no cost to participants. At the end of the retreat participants are given the opportunity to ‘pay it forward’ to the cost participants of future retreats to help insure sustainability.
Our retreats have helped survivors add life to days. We’ve heard at least one survivor say, “I thought it was going to be depressing hanging out with cancer patients, but I have never laughed so hard in my life.”
Attendees have set up walking groups, helping them to get off their antidepressants, started daily meditation practices enabling them to deal with the stress of treatment, prepared healthy meals empowering not only them but their families to eat well, and most importantly they report FEELING better.
Mission: Our mission is to empower cancer survivors and supporters to take action and make positive health behaviour changes that improve their lives.
Vision: Knight’s Cabin will be a vital part of all cancer treatment plans in Canada.
- Live healthy—everything we do is meant to improve the health and well-being of our clients.
- Affordability—we do not believe that financial capacity should ever be an obstacle to living a healthy life.
- Integrity—we operate with the utmost integrity in everything we do for and with our clients.
- Focus on research—we make it our mission to ensure our approaches, strategies, and all the work we do with our clients is rooted in research.
- Learning and growing—we crave feedback from our clients. We know honest feedback will help Knight’s Cabin to grow and evolve as an organization.
- Providing support—our first job is to support cancer survivors. Your experience with Knight’s Cabin doesn’t just end with a retreat. We stay in touch with you and continue to work with you.
- Building community—we don’t just host retreats; we build communities of survivors and supporters. Our retreats are the start of something, and that something is a network of people you can lean on when you need to.
- Advocate for better treatment and support—cancer research and survivor support has certainly improved over the last decade. But the work isn’t finished, and Knight’s Cabin is always looking for ways to support research and ensure survivors feel supported in their own lives.
Knight’s Cabin is a Canadian Registered Charity (BN: 808417042 RR0001)